Nursing Department Goals and Outcomes
- INQUIRY: WE CULTIVATE A VIBRANT ENVIRONMENT OF INQUIRY WHERE OUR COMMUNITY OF NURSE-SCHOLAR STUDENTS AND FACULTY THRIVE.
- We create and maintain a supportive learner-centered culture.
- We procure and care for our resources.
- We recruit and retain a student body capable of withstanding the academic rigors of the BSN program, and promote progression toward the BSN.
- We recruit and retain outstanding staff and faculty.
- We define student and faculty success and create measurable goals to attain it.
- We provide faculty access to professional development.
- We promote positive interactions among faculty, students and staff to increase engagement and success.
- We use best practices in technology to optimize strategies for instruction.
- We engage in a university ethos of liberal education to nurture understanding of the human response.
- We promote active service to the University through participation on Committees and Department of Nursing projects, and other activities.
- EQUITY: WE PREPARE AN EFFECTIVE MULTICULTURAL NURSING WORKFORCE TO MEET THE NEEDS OF THE DIVERSE POPULATIONS IN WHICH WE EXIST.
- We recruit, retain and graduate students reflective of our diverse communities.
- We seek and hire faculty and staff who resonate with the diverse backgrounds of our students.
- We ensure equitable access to robust learning resources, excellent teachers and leading-edge clinical learning opportunities.
- We foster a diverse and inclusive learning ethos, where uniqueness of beliefs, backgrounds, experience, talents, capabilities and ways of living are welcomed and leveraged for understanding the human response.
- FAMILY & COMMUNITY: WE FORM COLLABORATIONS WITH COMMUNITY PARTNERS TO PROMOTE HEALTH AND RESILIENCE IN FAMILIES AND THE COMMUNITY.
- We are deliberate in integrating family and community knowledge in the curriculum.
- We support nursing practice inquiry with emphasis on advancing family and community health and healing.
- We participate with the community to discover and take action to reduce health inequities and improve health outcome.
- We seek community- and family-focused clinical practice experiences.
- We respect the traditions, laws, history of the Yakama people, on whose land we reside; and we demonstrate gratitude by being thoughtful in our partnerships and our use of resources.
- We honor and care for the families and community that raise and continue to nurture our faculty, students and staff.
- EDUCATION: WE PREPARE PROFESSIONAL BACHELOR OF SCIENCE IN NURSING (BSN) NURSES FOR SAFE AND EFFECTIVE NURSING PRACTICE AND FOR LIFELONG DEVELOPMENT.
- We prepare BSN students who are able to obtain Registered Nurse (RN) licensure.
- We nurture a strong Heritage Nursing identity by socializing students to the unique value and learning outcomes in the BSN program.
- We engage our students and faculty in collaborative, inter-professional education (IPE) with students and faculty from other health professions.
- We provide our students with a strong foundation for graduate education.
- Our faculty maintain currency in professional clinical development to better serve our students.
- We maintain academic excellence with student input and evaluation.