MLS Program Admissions Requirements
Admission into the Medical Lab Sciences program is competitive with 12 students selected annually. Students must have an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5 to be considered for admissions. A science GPA of 2.7 is highly recommended. Other specific requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree with correct pre-requisite courses. Undergraduates at Heritage University can elect to take a 3+1 option.
- A minimum of 16 semester hours or 24 quarter hours of chemistry. This must include a year of general chemistry and organic and/ or biochemistry. Quantitative analysis is highly recommended.
- A minimum of 16 semester hours or 24 quarters of biological science. The courses must be acceptable toward a major in biological science and must include general biology and 1 quarter of bacteriology (microbiology). Immunology is required either as a separate course or as part of another course. Also strongly recommended are medical microbiology and parasitology. Other recommended courses include: anatomy & physiology, virology, genetics, molecular biotechnology, etc.
- A minimum of one course in college level mathematics. Also recommended are courses in statistics, computer science, instrumentation or basic electronics as in physics. (Physics of light and electricity is required for licensure in California). Applicants who meet the above minimum requirements seven of more years before application (especially microbiology, biochemistry and immunology) should update their academic preparation in these areas.
- Successful candidates will be able to meet the essential requirements and functions of the MLS program.
How to Apply
To apply submit the following to the MLS Program Director, Heritage University, 3240 Fort Road, Toppenish, WA., 98948 :
- MLS application and recommendation forms
- Official University or college transcript from each school
- Three letters of recommendations: One should be from a science professor, one from an employer or supervisor. You may choose whom you like for the third. Give each individual you have listed a recommendation form to complete and send to us. If your school has packets available with your recommendation letters, have the school send that to us.
Deadline for application is March 1st for the fall class. Selected applicants will be invited for an interview. The program does not discriminate as to race, color, sex, religion, age, or handicap of the applicants. The Selection Committee meets in February and March and selects students for acceptance. Selection is made by considering the student’s overall GPA, biology and chemistry GPA, courses taken, recommendations, work experience, essay and personal interview.
Letters of acceptance will go out in March. Alternates will be notified of their status by mail and will be offered acceptance into the program as openings occur. Once accepted into the MLS Program candidates will be notified to apply for admission to Heritage University.