Heritage University Summer 2022 English Bridge Program
The Heritage University English Bridge is designed to prepare students for our required college-level writing courses, which start with English 101 (English Composition I). Students may exit from the Bridge into English 99A (Pre-College Writing Skills I), English 99B (Pre-College Writing Skills II), or English 101 (English Composition I).
- To participate, students must be registered for fall semester, and have a Heritage Student ID code.
- Bridge will begin May 31, 2022. Additional students will be accepted through Friday, June 13, 2022.
- Students will exit from the Bridge when they have achieved the placement of English 101.
- By July 25, 2022, English Bridge staff will assess and place all remaining students in 99A, 99B, English 101/101L, or English 101.
English Bridge Outcomes
- Reading and accurately summarizing texts of increasing difficulty, rising to the level typical of college courses;
- Writing summaries and a variety of responses to the ideas in those texts;
- Writing more varied and improved sentences of the kinds expected in college writing assignments.
The instructor will provide the materials and the assignments for the first two; the last one will call on students to make progress in the assigned text, either Sentence Mastery A or Sentence Mastery B. Some sessions or parts of sessions will consist of instruction, while others will be spent conferencing with the instructor or a tutor, or working individually through readings, drafts for papers, or exercises from the text. During the workshop times, an instructor or tutor will be available to answer questions and otherwise assist students.
As the Bridge continues, students will be given opportunities to produce work that qualifies them for a placement in English 99A, English 99B, English 101 + 101 Lab, or English 101 with no lab. Students who achieve one of the first three can continue in the Bridge to pursue a higher placement or exit with the currently achieved placement. Students qualifying for English 101 with no lab will automatically exit at that point.
Online Classroom and Required Textbook
The faculty members and tutors will deliver all instruction, individual conferencing, and tutoring through Zoom.
- ONLINE: Students will participate in Bridge instruction offered through Zoom and MyHeritage.
- TEXTBOOKS: The English Bridge program will provide students with a textbook, Sentence Mastery (A) or (B), to use in achieving learning goals of the program at no cost to the student.
- TECHNOLOGY: Students will need internet access and a computer with Microsoft Word, which is available for free to all Heritage University students.
Summer English Bridge Options
Bridge will begin May 30, 2022. Additional students will be accepted through Friday, June 13, 2022.
Monday – Thursday mornings (8:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.)
Monday – Thursday afternoons (12:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
Sessions will be flexible, allowing students to move from morning to afternoon as needed.