What is MESA?
Mathematics, Engineering, Science, Achievement (MESA) is an innovative and effective academic development program. First Nations MESA engages students in math and science-based activities to prepare them for STEM based careers.
Washington MESA has a proven track record with over 30 years in producing math-based graduates by providing support such as classes, hands-on competitions, and tutoring to students from kindergarten through college.
Since 1970, MESA has helped students become scientists, engineers and mathematicians, filling an urgent need for qualified technical professional. MESA also partners with industry and major educational institutions throughout the United States.
The mission of First Nations MESA is to:
- Contribute to the personal and educational success by providing STEM appropriate enrichment opportunities to all students served within the Yakama Nation and its ceded lands.
- Provide our students with the opportunity to experience and understand their educational options and careers specifically related to STEM fields.
- Ensure their achievement of a higher education is supported and endorsed with a collaborative partnership between the faculty, staff, and students of Heritage University.
All underrepresented students served within the Yakama Nation and its ceded lands will achieve their full potential and contribute in the fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics. We also aim to provide equitable access to STEM education for all students, schools, and districts served by First Nations MESA.
Friday, April 12, 2019
Heritage University – Smith Family Hall
10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Come see the creative and scientific talents of our students during the STEM Solutions Challenge. Middle and high school MESA students will be assessed in their ability to effectively integrate Arduino sensor concepts into their prototypes to solve a human need.
Saturday, April 27, 2019
10:00 am – 2:00 pm
Science Show @ 1:00 pm
MESA-CON celebrates all things STEM. Come enjoy hands-on activities by Pacific Science Center, LIGO, and many more! MESA-CON is free to students, families, and the community. Lunch is provided.
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Morning, Afternoon and All Day Shifts
Who We Serve
MESA High Schools
- White Swan High School
- Toppenish High School
- CATS Academy
- Yakama Nation Tribal School
- Grandview High School
MESA Middle Schools
- Mount Adams Middle School
- Toppenish Middle School
- Union Gap School
- Wapato Middle School
MESA Elementary Schools
- Harrah Elementary School
- Kirkwood Elementary School
- Lincoln Elementary School