In this section you will find tips and suggestions for you to try with your children and family. If you have a tip of your own, please feel free to share it and we can post it on our site. Remember, Parenting is the most important job that we will ever have AND the one we are least trained for. ☺ Hopefully this corner will reduce some of our stress and maybe even give us a few laughs.
“Back to School” is in the air and the stores. It would be impossible to avoid the sales, school supply list and back pack specials. So let’s embrace it. Here are a few back to school tips for the student of any age:
- Set a routine. This will alleviate any stress during morning routines or family evening time. For example, prepare lunches or setting clothes out the night before reduces the rush in the morning or last minute search for the matching shoes.
- Have a place designated for homework. Keep it free of distractions, such as the television. Place supplies nearby and maybe a small nutritious snack or glass of water.
- If you are a student yourself, work on homework close to your children so you can model appropriate study habits.
- If your child is too small for homework let them color, draw or look at books next to you. This will establish the habit that homework is important and not a time for play.
- Do not skip breakfast in the morning. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and energizes you to think clearly. Children who miss breakfast, do not do as well in school. Grab a piece of fruit, quick bowl of oatmeal or yogurt to get you started.
- Show the student in your house that you are interested in how their school day went. Ask open ended questions such as, how did math class go today? Who did you play with on the playground? What are you talking about in science? Developing this routine will not only show your student that you are interested but it opens the door to some difficult conversations such as bullying.
Our children have many years of school ahead of them. Make school sound exciting and state the expectation that they will complete school and move into a vocational school or college. If you are a student, take care of your health as well. Remember, there are eyes on you and your values will be shared with your children in the way of your behavior.
So go get those supplies and that new pair of shoes. School is right around the corner and we are all ready. ☺